Thursday, May 22, 2008

BUSY!

I've hardly a spare moment to post (or read posts;O( because I've been busy! Busy doin' lots of stuff...here's one thing:





(ignore crooked tree-not point of post;o)

This is the "retaining wall" I guess it's called that I made-ALL BY MYSELF, with MY own two hands;o) I had help (and definitely want to pass the props along) from my BIL Lee who helped me get the blocks from Lowe's in his trailer-ONE HUNDRED TWENTY POUND BLOCKS moved from their parking lot, to his trailer, to my driveway, to there final resting place-my front yard. Ok, I guess I should mention TJ was a really great helper *at times* as was Jake *at fewer times*. Tim was at work having no idea that I undertook this project. I had to fill him in when I asked him to bring home 6 bags of top soil (I ran out and it's what I used to give the wall sturdiness).

Have I ever mentioned, we aren't crafty??? Seriously-not at all. We can hardly hang pictures on the wall. But, I really thought I could do this so I asked a few q's here and there from my neighbor and BIL who had successfully done it before. I have no formal training and would not recommend taking on this project alone, especially without a lot of dirt, the right shovel, and a level (I had to borrow the latter two and Lee lent me his shovel without my asking because he found out I was going to try the project with only a hand trowel;O) I'm a dork.

I think it turned out nicely-I have a few finishing touches to make to it and I need to plant some new flowers, but otherwise-it was a success! I am in a considerable amount of pain (lower back mostly) but hopefully with lots of ibuprofen, it will subside and I will survive to enjoy my landscape;o)

I'll post more about what I've been up to later!

8 comments:

Mari said...

I think it looks great! You would never know that you didn't already know how to do that. Looks professional to me! I hope the back pain doesn't last long and can be tamed nicely with the Ibuprofen.

amy f. said...

What an undertaking! It looks great. I would have no idea how to even begin a project like that...it is not my area and I'm okay with that :-) And Tim didn't even know you were going this? Wow!

I have been wondering about you and almost called you today, but as you have put out there it is a very busy week for you and you are just swamped and trying to get through the week. I hope you can have a wonderful weekend!

Jessica said...

This is my 3rd time to post a comment. I keep getting "error".
Ya'd think I'd copy what I wrote to repost after the second time. Nope! I figured it would go through.
Anyways! You did a great job. very impressed. Hope your pain subsides soon.

The Johnson Family 5 said...

Wow!! I'm very impressed! Brooks keeps asking me to plant some new flowers in our front yard since I'm home all week long and complain that I'm so bored..all I do is whine saying I can't do it without him! lol Way to go and take it in your own hands!!

Lindsay said...

It looks GREAT! Way to go!!

Candi and Skeet said...

It looks great! I have a similar project coming up and I am not looking foward to the back pain!

You'll have to let me know if the ibuprofen works

Kim said...

Renay,
I find you to be quite crafty-so far you have frogs that lay eggs and you have run a 5K and you built a retaining wall. I fell awfully lazy. I am very impressed. I need to now find a task...after I unpack. :-)

a said...

Wow! Great job, Renay! I know that took a lot of effort...and the result is beautiful! I'm proud of you.